VANCOUVER, BC – The winners of the 2019 edition of the B.C. Beer Awards were announced on Saturday October 19th during an awards ceremony and beer festival at the Croatian Cultural Centre in Vancouver.
This year’s 10th annual competition featured 1185 beers that were submitted by 122 breweries from across the province, and tasted blind by a panel of BJCP-certified judges, Certified Cicerones, and professional brewers.
The full list of winners is as follows:
1. Vidal, Townsite Brewing
2. Elementary – Lager, Four Winds Brewing Co.
3. Hashtag Basic, Electric Bicycle Brewing
Pale German Beer
1. Köl Story Bro Kölsch, Brewhall Beer Co.
2. Skyline Lager, Bomber Brewing Co.
3. The Adams Family Festbier, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
1. Pixel Pils, Fuggles & Warlock Craftworks
2. Simple Things, Steel & Oak Brewing Co.
3. Beldame, Strange Fellows Brewing
Amber European Beer
1. Marzen, R&B Brewing Co
2. Red Pilsner, Steel & Oak Brewing Co.
3. Helles Lager, Trading Post Brewing
Dark & Strong European Beer
1. Hermannator Ice Bock, Vancouver Island Brewing
2. May the Schwarz Be With You, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
3. Dominion Dark Lager, Vancouver Island Brewing
German Wheat Beer
1. Heftechnik, Brassneck Brewery
2. Chefs Hef, R&B Brewing Co
3. 50/50 Hefeweizen, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
UK Pale Ale
1. Papa G’s ESB, The Noble Pig Brewhouse
2. Bomber Pale Ale, Bomber Brewing Co.
3. Backroads Brewing Pale Ale, Backroads Brewing Company
UK Brown Ale
1. Wee Angry Scotch Ale, Russell Brewing Company
2. Rail Ale Nut Brown, Howe Sound Brewing
3. Outboard Motor Oatmeal Porter, The 101 Brewhouse + Distillery
1. Sasquatch Stout, Old Yale Brewing
2. Tactical Turtleneck, Another Beer Company Inc.
3. Cold Steeped Irish Stout, The Bakery Brewing
1. Woolly Bugger, Howe Sound Brewing
2. Melle Meo, Howe Sound Brewing
3. Wayfarer, Strange Fellows Brewing
1. Tropical Tart, Steamworks Brewing Co.
2. Corvus Lingonberry Lime Gose, Ravens Brewing Company
3. Moon Dance Mango Wheat, Old Yale Brewing
Specialty Fruit Beer
1. Late Bloomer Strawberry Hibiscus Sour, Twin City Brewing Company
2. Asking For A Friend, Backcountry Brewing
3. De Witte, Dageraad Brewing
1. Yoga Pants Cucumber Basil Sour, Electric Bicycle Brewing
2. Flex Mex, Twin Sails Brewing
3. Nightwatch, Lighthouse Brewing Co.
Smoke- & Wood-Aged Beer
1. The Great Gratzer, Moody Ales
2. Ignis Lichtenhainer, House of Funk Brewing Company
3. Loral Brett Saison, Île Sauvage Brewing Company
Specialty Wood Aged Beer
1. Punch’s Farmhouse Ale, Mayne Island Brewing Company
2. Debauchery Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, House of Funk Brewing Company
3. Scarlet, Steamworks Brewing Co.
1. Shiro Shiro, Île Sauvage Brewing Company
2. Troika, Parallel 49 Brewing Co.
3. Little Red One, Strange Fellows Brewing
1. Whiskey Sour Ale, Field House Brewing Co.
2. Pilsbo Baggins New Zealand Pilsner, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
3. Gulagubben, Whistle Buoy Brewing Co.
North American Light Beer
1. No Brainer, Brassneck Brewery
2. Red Racer Summer Crush Hopped Lager, Central City Brewers + Distillers
3. Cream Ale, Gladstone Brewing Company
North American Blonde Ale
1. Bastion Blonde Ale, White Sails Brewing
2. Ballpark Blonde, Red Arrow Brewing Company
3. Royal City Ale, Steel & Oak Brewing Co.
North American Pale Ale
1. Hazy Citra Pale Ale, 4 Mile Brewing Co.
2. Palida, Andina Brewing
3. Hazy Pale Ale, Steamworks Brewing Co.
North American Amber & Brown Ale
1. Birra Rossa, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
2. Easy Amber, Nelson Brewing Co
3. Midnight Umber, Red Arrow Brewing Company
North American Porter & Stout
1. Porter, Gladstone Brewing Company
2. Rye Stout, Doan’s Craft Beer Company
3. Bomber Russian Imperial Stout, Bomber Brewing Co.
North American IPA
1. Bomber IPA, Bomber Brewing Co.
2. Shipwreck, Lighthouse Brewing Co.
3. Play Dead IPA, Yellow Dog Brewing
1. Ferocious Wild IPA, Yellow Dog Brewing
2. Sipasaurus Rex, Backroads Brewing Company
3. Slingshot Session IPA, Fernie Brewing Co.
1. Exp.003.Mkvi – Fluffy Cloud IPA, 33 Brewing Experiment
2. Neon Lights Pale Ale, Brewhall Beer Co.
3. Dreamboat Hazy IPA, The Parkside Brewery
1. Psychosis 7 DIPA, Whitetooth Brewing Company Ltd.
2. Numbskull, Lighthouse Brewing Co.
3. One Trick Pony, Brassneck Brewery
1. Burnabarian, Dageraad Brewing
2. La Tenace Belgian Single, Whitetooth Brewing Company Ltd.
3. Icefields Pale Ale, Whitetooth Brewing Company Ltd.
Honorable Mention: Jongleur, Strange Fellows Brewing
1. Five, Dageraad Brewing
2. Small Wonder, Brassneck Brewery
3. The Pass (Collab W/ Blindman), Dageraad Brewing
Strong Belgian Ale
1. 10°, Dageraad Brewing
2. Rosetta, Dageraad Brewing
3. Blonde, Dageraad Brewing
Honorable Mention: 33 Acres of Euphoria, 33 Acres Brewing Co.
1. Strange Resemblance, Strange Fellows Brewing
2. Mixtape Series: Dry Hopped Sour, Boombox Brewing
3. Pinkies Out Tropical Sour, Foamers’ Folly Brewing Co.
Specialty Wild Ale
1. Mountain View Black Currant Sour, Fuggles & Warlock Craftworks
2. Noble Blend Mixed Culture Saison, Yellow Dog Brewing
3. Rose Changeling, Brassneck Brewery
Dan Small Homebrew Award
Andrew Swanton – The Answers to Life, The Universe and Everything – Dark Mild
Best Flight Paddle
Best Growler Design
Mount Arrowsmith Brewing Company
Best Tasting Room Design
Electric Bicycle Brewing
Best Tap Handle Design
Best Label Design – Can
Dageraad Brewing – Murder City
Best Label Design – Bottle
Dageraad Brewing – Antwerpen Tripel
Best Packaging Design
Vancouver Island Brewing – Pod Pack
Best Website Design
Brewhall Beer Co.
Best Social Media Presence
Rookie of the Year
Île Sauvage Brewing Company
Brewhall — Azedo tropical sour
Four Winds — Cherry Operis
Innovator of the Year
Twin Sails Brewing
John Rowling & Gerry Hieter
Best in Show
Fuggles & Warlock Craftworks – Pixel Pils
Brewery of the Year
Kwantlen Polytechnic University