HALIFAX, NS – Garrison Brewing have launched a new annual competition for homebrewers, giving them the chance to craft a beer that will be brewed by Garrison as a seasonal release. Here’s the full announcement with all of the details:
Welcome to the first annual “Garrison Ultimate Brew-Off”, an annual competition for hot-shot home-brewers across the Maritimes.
Participants will be asked to produce a 5 gallon/20litre batch of beer based on a pre-determined beer style. Each entry will receive a written review with the top four each receiving a prize. The best beer overall will be scaled up to commercial size by our Brewmaster, Daniel Girard, which the home-brewer will assist in brewing as a Garrison seasonal! This is intended to be an annual event, with a different style chosen each year.
* Entrants must be home-brewers (non-commercial brewers) from either Nova Scotia or New Brunswick;
* Beers produced on the premises of commercial brewers are not eligible;
* Beers must be within BJCP Style Guidelines to win. The 2009 style is “STANDARD / ORDINARY BITTER”.
Beers must be:
1.) all-grain; or,
2.) extract with hops &/or malt.
* Purchased “complete kits” are not eligible. Brews must be properly documented (brewing sheet attached) & fully reproducible; Unfiltered beer is completely acceptable;
* Total of 2 litres (6 x 341ml, 4 x 500ml, etc.) submitted for review & judging purposes;
* $10 registration fee entitles all entrants to a souvenir t-shirt & two tickets to the gala event;
* Registration deadline is April 30, 2009. Samples must be received by Tuesday, May 19, 2009.
Review, Judging and Awards Reception:
* All entries will receive a written evaluation (including suggestions if applicable) by our award-winning Brewmaster, Daniel Girard.
* The top four (4) entries will be selected by Daniel Girard for final judging by BJCP certified judges;
* Awards will be handed out at a reception on Thursday May 28, 2009 at Garrison Brewery (1149 Marginal Road) and finalists are asked to bring a quantity of their brew for attendees to sample.
* The Gold Medal winner will be invited to join Daniel in brewing a full-sized batch of their recipe for packaging & release as a limited edition seasonal. They will also receive two flats (48 bottles) of the finished beer, a $75 Noble Grape gift certificate & be presented with a trophy that will remain on display at the brewery;
* Prizes will also be given out for Silver, Bronze & Honourable Mention, including gift certificates from Noble Grape.
Good Luck & Drink Independently!
** Garrison retains the right to name & brew the finished product without royalty, compensation or limitation.
[via: Great Canadian Pubs & Beer]